Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Blanket Trunk

During my woods class, I built a blanket chest. Which is made out of plywood. It was two feet wide, two feet high and three feet long with a skirt at the bottom. I started out by cutting my eight by four piece of plywood, to make my six pieces. Then, I think I did more sanding then anything else. When working with plywood you have to be kind of cautious because of all the layers. Plus, it chips really easily. I had fun, even though I was always getting slivers. Those hurt!! The most difficult part is when I was trying to put it together, because it never wanted to stay together... I used fingered joints, I thought they were going to be an easy way to get it done fast. I guess I was wrong because it took me almost half a year to make it. I also got some nice gold pieces of hardware for the hinges and lock in the front. After staining it with a natural cedar, I let it dry and brought it home…finally. I still wish to this day that I would have put something on it to cover up the smell of the natural cedar. Anyways, I had fun on it, and will soon have more articles on other projects of mine!!

Stephannie Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment